Wednesday 15 October 2008

Whining about whiners

I want to ask SE what on earth they were thinking when they planned those new ads. Yes, people have been complaining about SE not advertising the game, but that's no excuse. Seriously, have you seen these?



Yes, I think they're funny, especially the rock band scene is hilarious! But I'm afraid they're funny only for people who are already playing the game. I very much doubt we'll get any new players with these ads. But hey, maybe that doesn't matter, because Jimmy the guitarist is so freaking cool!

I usually don't rant about anything but one thing has been really annoying me lately. On Sunday, my husband had his first run with our dynamis LS. He did the best he could to be well prepared for the run: studied strategies from internet and bought some new equipment and other stuff (reraise items, poison potions, echo drops and food) and so on. Well, during the run he began to wonder why he bothered with all that when it seemed that no one else did. And that's exactly the thing that has been bothering me too.

Our dynamis LS isn't "elitist" in any way, which is a good thing in my opinion. We have many members which are fairly new to end game and most of our members have pretty standard gear and so on. And it's totally ok, you don't have to have amazing 1337 gear or have loads of experience to do your job well in dynamis. But some of the things I've seen there are just... not acceptable to me. I've seen mages without the basic elemental staves (yeah, a 75 WHM without a light staff), mages, paladins and ninjas without echo drops ("sorry, I couldn't cure you, I was silenced!") and (the one that annoys me the most) melees who come to dynamis without reraise items.

We have a LS rule which says everyone should bring a form of reraise on every dynamis run. However, most of our members don't care about that rule, and our leaders don't care about if people follow the rule or not. We have another rule that people who don't have reraise, will get R1. However, they usually get a R3. Also, usually people insist on getting R3 and whine about losing exp and being in danger to delevel.

So, for these people, who keep whining about the EXP loss, here's a newsflash: When you come to dynamis run (or any other end game activity), you can safely assume you'll die at some point (if things go wrong as they usually do). Here's another newsflash: In FFXI, when you die, you'll lose EXP. Now, a smart person might be able to combine these two together, but I really don't expect that much from the people who I'm referring to here, so let me do it for you: "When you come to dynamis run, you can safely assume that you'll die and lose EXP".

Let's make this even a bit more difficult. Here's another newsflash, just one more, I promise: You can prepare for the EXP loss you'll experience in Dynamis by getting yourself a nice buffer. Buffer is the amount of extra EXP you need to keep yourself from deleveling and whining after someone does something stupid and your whole linkshell wipes. Now see, I solved this problem for you guys! Get that buffer thing, so you don't have to whine!

Seriously speaking, it isn't really nice to follow the rules unless everyone does so. It's not nice to spend money on reraise items for every run and use that reraise 1 if the people who don't care about the rules don't have to spend any money and get raise 3 almost every time.

There is a purpose for this rule, you know. If, in case of full wipe, everyone has reraise up, we can recover a lot faster. That means, we can also continue farming a lot faster, and thus, maybe receive more relic drops and currency. Also, it takes a lot more time for our WHMs to R3 everyone than it takes our all mages to R1 everyone. This should be simple enough for everyone to understand, but apparently it is not.

Anyway, on more positive topic: my little choco chick is ten days old now!

Here are her stats:

Strength: Poor
Endurance: Poor
Discernment: Poor
Resceptivity: Poor
Affection: Parent (max)
Condition: Excellent, high spirits
Personality: Enigmatic
Likes: Clear days
Abilities known: None

So, she doesn't know anything or isn't good in anything yet, but at least she's happy! ^^

I'll check on her once or twice a day on Windsday (hoping it will affect her color). Her current care plan is "listen to music" to increase her discernment and receptivity. I'm also feeding her one Vomp Carrot and one Zegham Carrot a day at the same time. Vomp Carrots increase strength and endurance whereas Zegham Carrots increase discernment and receptivity.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That Raise-thing irked me to no end, too. I always thought why make a rule that says 'everyone gets R1' if in reality most of the deaths are by core-people and they get the 'R3 him please' treatment, even though they don't have their own reraise items at ANY point during the run. D: (I'd understand it someone blew through five charges of RR, and then would ask for a R3 to get back his lost level, or something.)