Wednesday 3 December 2008

My first Nyzul ever!

A while ago I got this idea about trying Nyzul Isle assaults. That's one of those things I've never got to try. So I decided to organize some Nyzul runs for my LS, just so that we could try it and get new experiences. I was surprised how many others were interested in trying this too: 10 people signed up! Of course that meant that not everyone could attend every run, but I wanted to give everyone a chance to try it.

When I first got this idea, my knowledge of Nyzul Isle was close to zero. Basically, all I knew was that the goal was to climb up 5 floors at a time and that every floor had a random objective. So I read some guides and information on different FFXI forums. Based on this information, I organized our first run and setup for it:

1. WHM/SMN (main healer)
2. BLU/NIN (secondary healer, stunner, main puller and DD power)
3. PLD/WAR (one guide said it's every important to have a person with provoke)
4. DRG/WHM (another person to help with healing and also DD power)
5. MNK/NIN (DD)
6. MNK/NIN (DD)

It wasn't really the optimal setup described in guides but I was happy with it. After all, about half of the people signed up for this only have one job at 75.

I understood that preparation for the run was extremely important. So I made sure everyone had reraise item, a form of sneak and invisible, echo drops, several different pulling methods (ranged attack, ninjutsu, voke) and a proper sanction bonus (refresh for mages and regen for melees). Our WHM also had poison potions with him and they proved to be very useful.



The first two tags went to figuring out the whole thing and making better strategies. There were a couple of things which made us work faster:

* In the lobby, instead of all of us spamming the rune, everyone did / when they we're ready to warp up, and then one person used the rune.

* We decided to split in two groups when we got certain objects (for example on "defeat all enemies" floors)

* On nearly all floors, we got someone to run to the rune when we had almost completed the objective, so that we could warp to the next floor as fast as possible.

One great advantage we had was that we communicated really well with each other and adjusted to different situations pretty fast. It's always easier to do things like this with friends than with a pickup group because with friends you're used to their play style and it's easier to communicate.

On third tag we finally got up to floor 5! After that we all had one tag left, so we decided to give floors 6+ a try and succeeded to get to floor 10! I was really happy, because my goal was to take us to floor 5 and I wasn't really sure if we could even get there, because none of us had really any previous Nyzul experience. But everyone did amazing job and thanks to everyone working so well together, our first ever Nyzul run was a great success!

No comments: